The Subversive Church

Becoming ever more convinced of how little I know about what it means to be the Kingdom of Heaven.

Name:
Location: Boston, MA

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Welcome to Blogville, population: Us.

Ok, so I really got here because I wanted to post a comment on stepchild's blog, missionsmisunderstood.blogspot.com. But to comment you have to set up a blogger account, and I just hit this little button, and then this big screen opened up, and then I was choosing a template, and then AAAAAAAGGGGgggghhhh.... ... .. . . . . (thud) - here I am. A blogger. Nuts!

But you know, I was probably going to do this someday anyway. So if anyone ever reads this, here's a quick primer on what my blog - The Subversive Church - is all about.

1. The title. This is something I've been turning over in my head for a while. I plan to post again in a few days with what exactly I mean by "subversive church."

2. I think blogs are awesome. I've never blogged before now, but I've been an avid reader for some time. Blogs in many ways represent the essence of postmodernity. They do not pretend to objectivity. They are biased, skewed and slanted in as many ways as there are bloggers. And so one cannot find objective truth by reading one blog alone.

Ah, but one never does read a single blog alone! The point of blogs is that they network. Not only do we tend to read multiple blogs to begin with, but blogs invite commentary, which gives immediate feedback on the validity of a post. I could post something outrageous, like, "Charles Woodson deserved the Heisman." Which everyone knows is false, because Peyton Manning was clearly the better player. But you'd see that in the comments, and so my outrageous post wouldn't live long. And I would lose my blog-cred.

Furthermore, blogs link. My favorite news blog is Instapundit. It's so much better than traditional media because it links to every story, so I can check out the original source myself, and see if I buy what the guy's saying about it. And if there's a correction, or the story is bogus, the mod will post updates or retractions almost instantly. Instapundit has a high degree of blog-cred with me.

3. Finally, I'm really interested in exploring what the Church is doing with this whole blog thing. The group which represents the denomination of which my church is a member just had their annual convention, and some big shots said some nasty things about blogs and bloggers, which, if they wanted to keep me away from blogs, was the last thing they should have done. So now I'm finding a whole community of Christian bloggers I didn't know was there! Sweet. Besides, it supports my theory of Church-as-subversion.

So anyway, there you have it. The Subversive Church. Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Marty Duren said...

Welcome to subversion...

6/25/2006 09:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home