The Subversive Church

Becoming ever more convinced of how little I know about what it means to be the Kingdom of Heaven.

Name:
Location: Boston, MA

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Keepin' It Real

One of the greatest, most sublime joys I have found in my old age is that of listening to my iPod while washing dishes. It's the only time I get to use it, because I'm usually otherwise in class, working or watching my two kids. It's especially nice because, since the iPod headphones are too small for me and keep falling out, I use the Sennheiser HD-280 cans I use for audio editing, which are huge, closed-back 'phones that block out everything but the music. The kids are in bed, my wife is doing other chores, and I'm dancing in front of the sink, lip sync'ing and doing dishes.

The best part of the iPod, in my estimation, is the numerous ways to organize and arrange the listening experience. You can set up your own playlists, listen to whole albums, or - and this is my favorite - just listen to every song in order, alphabetically. My iPod currently has 508 songs so there's enough material I'm never sure what comes next. I find particular joy in the random, sometimes humorous juxtaposition of songs.

For example, yesterday over dishes I was somewhere in the G's, listening to Caedmon's Call singing God of Wonders. What a beautiful song, what a beautiful rendition... all the way into the distorted opening riffs of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla.
With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high-tension wires down... Godzilla!


Today's was even better. I was grooving to Vineyard's Hallelujah (Your Love Is Amazing), when the next thing I hear is the inimitable voice of Kermit the Frog:
"The time has come to answer that question that has baffled mankind through the ages; namely, can the frog tap-dance? The answer is... Hit it!"
If you haven't heard Kermit sing Happy Feet, then you haven't truly lived. But just about the time I'm grinning like a fool, getting my dishtowel wet trying to tap-dance while washing dishes, Switchfoot follows up Happy Feet with Happy Is A Yuppy Word.

It could be that no one else out there in Blogland sees the humor in my iPod playlist. But for me, it's all about keepin' it real. Switchfoot captures so much of what I find myself trying to say but can't, but just when I'm starting to take it all too seriously, Kermit puts it all in perspective with his hap-hap-happy feet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home