The Subversive Church

Becoming ever more convinced of how little I know about what it means to be the Kingdom of Heaven.

Name:
Location: Boston, MA

Friday, June 22, 2007

A Question of Faith

It's been a really long week, and my brain is mushy, but I want to get this down before I forget it.

An old friend called last night, and we talked for thirty minutes or so. I'm afraid I wasn't much of a conversationalist - mushy brain and all - but along the way, he said something I needed to hear.

He was describing an upcoming transition, and all the difficult decisions it would entail for him and his family, but said, "You know, God doesn't want us to be consumed with this stuff. He wants us to be consumed with Him."

I've been consumed with a lot of things recently, and I'm afraid my Lord and Savior hasn't made the list very often. Ironically, one of the things that's consumed most of my time and brain cycles has been a quest for tangible fruit - ha! - in my spiritual life. It's like I've been trying so hard to grow a few grapes on my little branch that I've lost my connection to the vine.

So the question, really, is one of faith. Am I willing to give up trying to fill in all my little spiritual check-boxes in order to focus on God? "But seek ye first His kingdom, and His righteousness, and all these things will be added as well...?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home